The new ETS unit will pursue strategic fairness investments, progress partnerships, and mergers and acquisitions
PRINCETON, New Jersey, Sept. 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — ETS, the world’s largest nonprofit academic evaluation and measurement group, at this time introduced the creation of ETS Strategic Capital, a brand new unit that can concentrate on rising the enterprise and advancing its mission via strategic fairness investments, progress partnerships, and mergers and acquisitions.
ETS Strategic Capital will broaden, broaden and diversify ETS’s providing in evaluation, studying and growth for Okay–12, increased schooling, and firms. With this mandate, ETS Strategic Capital is actively in search of transactions to determine a worldwide portfolio of modern schooling corporations that can have each a constructive monetary and strategic influence.
“We’ve reached a pivotal point in the ongoing evolution of education — there is a fundamental change in how educational services are delivered, how tools and assessments are structured, and how learners, schools, and companies are engaged and connected,” mentioned Ralph Taylor-Smith, the Managing Director of ETS Strategic Capital. “With our funding, expertise and experience in education, ETS Strategic Capital is well positioned to help emerging education companies that are addressing these gaps grow and increase their impact, while tapping into new opportunities. ETS brings value-add capabilities in assessments, research and development, global distribution, and innovative technologies to our portfolio and partner companies.”
ETS Strategic Capital at present has a portfolio of 5 corporations that carry expertise, new enterprise fashions and geographic protection, and that complement and construct out ETS’s present enterprise areas:
- ApplyBoard: Guided by ETS Strategic Capital, ETS made an fairness funding in Canadian-based ApplyBoard Inc., the world’s largest platform for worldwide scholar recruitment. As a part of this funding, ApplyBoard and ETS’s TOEFL® enterprise unit, which gives the world’s premier English-language check for college research, work and immigration, are additionally growing a strategic progress partnership. https://www.applyboard.com/
- Pipplet: A start-up specializing in language evaluation for companies, Paris-based Pipplet helps corporations assess job candidates’ language fluency based mostly on their sensible, real-world potential to work together in knowledgeable context. ETS’s subsidiary, ETS Global B.V., acquired Pipplet S.A.S., guided by ETS Strategic Capital. https://www.pipplet.com/en-gb/home
- Capti (by Charmtech Labs LLC): Through using machine studying, synthetic intelligence and pure language processing, Buffalo, N.Y.-based Capti, created by Charmtech Labs LLC, gives customized literacy and studying help to Okay–12 college students. Capti – dubbed a “AAA” for academics – helps academics accommodate, assess and speed up studying for all their college students. ETS Strategic Capital organized a seed funding from ETS in Capti and established a strategic enterprise partnership with ETS Research & Development (R&D) and New Product Development (NPD). Capti is licensing ETS’s ReadReady™ mental property in internet-driven studying diagnostics, and can work intently with ETS’s R&D and NPD groups to broaden alternatives to positively influence Okay12 scholar studying success throughout the United States. https://www.captivoice.com/capti-site//
- EdAgree: Focused on the worldwide scholar expertise, EdAgree, Inc. is a newly shaped spin-out firm from ETS that can match worldwide college students with universities and help these college students all through their schooling journey. EdAgree plans to validate scholar profile data, package deal it for streamlined processing by admissions departments, and collaborate with universities to determine and ship help that can optimize studying outcomes. EdAgree additionally will collaborate with associate universities on analysis efforts to optimize scholar success. ETS Strategic Capital organized $1 million of seed funding from ETS to incubate the brand new start-up firm and facilitated the spinout from ETS. https://edagree.com/
- Gradschoolmatch: Gradschoolmatch.com is an interactive internet-driven software program platform that helps potential graduate college students match with potential graduate tutorial packages. The match-algorithm, search-engine and business-approach are modeled after profitable “personal-dating” web-driven companies; college students can submit biographies, analysis pursuits, profession plans and tutorial profiles; they’ll additionally “bookmark” a graduate program profile to “signal their interest” in studying extra or ship “private messages” to graduate faculty recruiters. Both potential graduate college students and graduate establishments might subscribe, which permits them to look by location or tutorial pursuits, monitoring prospects and making contact with simplified one-click interconnectivity for matching. ETS Strategic Capital organized the acquisition of the Gradschoolmatch.com platform, and it is going to be integrated into ETS’s choices to the graduate faculty market. https://www.gradschoolmatch.com/
ETS Strategic Capital will function the personal fairness funding and M&A execution arm for ETS, its subsidiaries and its companions. It will supply transactions each inside the home United States and internationally. It will associate with the broader EdTech ecosystem, to determine and execute offers, coordinate with different ETS enterprise models to determine alternatives and wishes, community with skilled companies companies with schooling experience, and construct direct relationships with companies internationally — particularly inside Asia Pacific, Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Middle East & Africa (MENA) areas.
More particularly, ETS Strategic Capital will goal personal fairness investments which might be sometimes in Series B, C or later, the place corporations have already got a confirmed product and/or market match, preliminary prospects, and developed business-model, and are in search of additional new progress capital to scale the enterprise; in choose conditions, earlier-stage funding could also be potential. Acquisitions will primarily concentrate on middle-market scale offers, although smaller or bigger acquisitions may be potential in sure conditions. ETS Strategic Capital defines progress partnerships broadly they usually would possibly contain joint ventures (JVs), channel-partner or distribution agreements, Intellectual Property (IP) licensing and technology-transfer relationships, together with comparable strategic value-add enterprise partnerships.
Ralph Taylor-Smith, at present the Vice President of Corporate Development at ETS, will grow to be the Managing Director of the brand new unit, bringing a wealth of expertise in personal fairness investing, M&A and progress partnerships and joint ventures. ETS Strategic Capital has a rising bicoastal workforce based mostly in places of work in Princeton, N.J., Washington, D.C. and Silicon Valley, Calif. https://www.ets.capital/team/
At ETS, we advance high quality and fairness in schooling for individuals worldwide by creating assessments based mostly on rigorous analysis. ETS serves people, academic establishments and authorities businesses by offering custom-made options for instructor certification, English language studying, and elementary, secondary and postsecondary schooling, and by conducting schooling analysis, evaluation and coverage research. Founded as a nonprofit in 1947, ETS develops, administers and scores greater than 50 million exams yearly — together with the TOEFL® and TOEIC® exams, the GRE® exams and The Praxis Series® assessments — in additional than 180 international locations, at over 9,000 areas worldwide. www.ets.org.