To hearken to the Federal Newscast in your telephone or cell machine, subscribe in PodcastOne or Apple Podcasts. The greatest listening expertise on desktop will be discovered utilizing Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
- The Office of Special Counsel stated a speech from Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue was a textbook Hatch Act violation. Perdue gave a speech a few USDA meals drive program earlier this summer season. He spoke in his official capability as USDA secretary. But OSC says components of his speech amounted to a marketing campaign push for the president. OSC directed Perdue to reimburse the Treasury for the prices of the journey he took to North Carolina the place he gave his speech.
- Employees impacted by Hurricane Laura or the California wildfires now have entry to an emergency depart switch program. Federal workers can donate unused annual depart to their colleagues affected by both a type of current disasters. Impacted workers should apply by way of their businesses to obtain donated depart. It’s as much as every company to determine who wants extra depart and who has depart to donate. The Office of Personnel Management says it’ll assist coordinate the switch of depart amongst federal businesses.
- The Trump administration stated a current hiring pilot efficiently introduced in over a dozen new buyer expertise specialists to authorities. The Office of Personnel Management, U.S. Digital Service and different businesses requested subject material specialists to assessment design samples and resumes for the candidates. Over 100 candidates cleared these opinions. The candidates then went by way of an asynchronous interview after which one other interview with the subject material specialists. Agencies discovered 44 certified candidates and prolonged job presents to half of them. At least 17 have accepted job presents to this point. (Performance.gov)
- The Defense Department is awarding $600 million in contracts for 5G experimentation and testing at 5 extra army bases. Sites embrace Hill Air Force Base in Utah and Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington. Each base could have a special perform. For instance, Naval Base San Diego will develop a 5G enabled sensible warehouse to extend effectivity of naval logistic operations. Lewis-McChord will quickly area 5G for augmented and digital actuality for mission planning and coaching.
- The Defense Health Agency is rethinking a few of its reforms on account of COVID-19. About 200,000 folks had been supposed to maneuver from getting healthcare at army clinics to non-public suppliers. However, due to the coronavirus lots of the docs’ places of work and hospitals DHA was relying on is probably not open anymore. DHA Director Lt. Gen Ronald Place says the company is checking its math to ensure the medical group can nonetheless soak up the sufferers. Place says the Defense Department might not have a stable reply till early 2021. (Federal News Network)
- DoD’s first ever knowledge technique strikes into the implementation section. Now the exhausting half begins. Officially ending and releasing its knowledge technique means the division should now get the companies and businesses to make use of the requirements and comply with the governance processes. To do this, the DoD chief knowledge officer’s council will lead the cost. It will develop the variety of members to incorporate the combatant instructions and area businesses. Additionally, DoD plans to launch an information stewards program to assist promote the requirements and convey the warfighter’s perspective to the hassle. (Federal News Network)
- Agencies are making important progress in making knowledge extra clear and publicly obtainable. A brand new report by the Government Accountability Office discovered all 24 CFO Act businesses displayed their knowledge inventories on their web sites, in addition to on a web based catalogue of federal knowledge property run by GSA. GAO seemed on the implementation of the Open, Public, Electronic and Necessary or OPEN Government Data Act of 2018. GAO made two suggestions for OMB to publish steerage telling businesses how one can publish complete inventories and a coverage to make sure businesses right errors frequently.
- The CIO Council’s first knowledge science coaching program selected 61 federal workers from 32 businesses out of the a whole bunch who utilized. Jason Gray, the co-chairman of the council’s workforce committee, says they’re making use of the teachings realized from the cybersecurity reskilling program and hope to incorporate mentorship or element assignments to make sure these workers have sufficient expertise to get jobs once they graduate. The knowledge science coaching program runs by way of July 2021.
- The General Services Administration and the Energy Department are on the lookout for industrial constructing expertise to enhance the air high quality and electrical energy manufacturing of buildings. The two businesses issued request for info asking distributors to submit capabilities throughout three broad areas: bettering indoor air high quality, photo voltaic power manufacturing and water and energy conservation throughout grid disruptions. Responses to the RFI are due Dec. 4.