OpenText introduced the discharge of the 2021 ‘Webroot BrightCloud’ menace report. Webroot’s unparalleled sixth technology machine studying safety platform gives distinctive knowledge insights into the timing, ways and applied sciences that menace actors used over the previous yr.
Phishing exercise elevated considerably within the first few months of 2020, profiting from pandemic induced product shortages and elevated utilization of streaming companies. For the primary time, eBay topped the record of manufacturers most focused for impersonations, with 31.1 per cent of all phishing assaults within the month of February impersonating eBay. In March, phishing exercise surged amongst streaming companies YouTube, Netflix and Twitch.
“Gathered from over 285 million real world endpoints and sensors, and leveraging the extensive BrightCloud network of industry leading partners, this year’s threat report clearly shows how cybercriminals are willing and able to evolve their tactics to exploit collective human interest and current events,” stated Prentiss Donohue, Executive Vice President, OpenText.
“The findings underscore the need for users and businesses of all sizes to enact a multi layered approach to data security and protection given the persistent creativity of cybercriminals,” added Donohue.
Notable report findings:
- Attacks elevated 510 per cent from January to February alone
- The prime 5 phishing targets of the yr have been eBay, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook and Google
- By the tip of 2020, 54 per cent of phishing websites used HTTPs. Use of HTTPS varies significantly based mostly on the business being focused and is most closely used when spoofing cryptocurrency exchanges, ISPs and gaming.
- 86.1 per cent of malware is exclusive to a single PC.
- 83 per cent of Windows malware hides in certainly one of 4 places.
- Consumer units noticed twice as many malware infections when in comparison with enterprise units.
The menace intelligence, traits and particulars introduced within the 2021 ‘Webroot BrightCloud’ menace report are based mostly on knowledge repeatedly and mechanically captured by the Webroot Platform, which is the proprietary machine studying based mostly structure that powers all Webroot safety and BrightCloud companies. This knowledge comes from over 285 million actual world endpoints and sensors, specialised third-party databases, and intelligence from finish customers protected by our main know-how companions like Cisco, Citrix, F5 Networks and extra.
If you’ve gotten an attention-grabbing article / expertise / case examine to share, please get in contact with us at [email protected]