The Master’s in Data Science program launched two awards in the course of the 2020-21 tutorial yr. These awards serve to acknowledge excellence in educating and distinctive educating assistants.
Awards had been provided for each first-year and second-year programs in this system. Students had the chance to pick out a school member and a educating assistant from their respective lessons who they thought must be honored.
The Excellence in Teaching Award was given to each a first-year course college teacher and a second-year college teacher to acknowledge excellence in educating and a dedication to scholar classroom studying and success.
The Exceptional TA Award was given to each a first-year course and second-year course educating assistant to acknowledge distinctive assist and dedication to see schooling.
There had been a lot of submissions for every award, and most of the program’s college members obtained votes and recognition from college students. The inaugural recipients and feedback from their nominators are as follows:
Excellence in Teaching (first-year programs)
Zhongyue (John) Yang, assistant professor of chemistry
Jesse Spencer-Smith, adjunct professor of pc science
- “Dr. Yang and Dr. Spencer-Smith are both extremely approachable and helpful.”
- “Dr. Yang was so nice and genuinely care about not only our success in the course, but also us as people. He was a great professor and I would love to have him again!”
- “Dr. Spencer-Smith is always willing to add extra office hours and workshops last minute, even during his personal time. He does a good job reviewing concepts as we go so that we remember old concepts and build upon them.”
- “Both professors were very accessible and accommodating to the skill level of the students. I appreciated the pace and structure of the class.”
Excellence in Teaching (second-year programs)
Diego Mesa, assistant professor of the apply of pc science
- “Dr. Mesa held us to a very high standard of excellence. He demands a lot from students but always matches or exceeds the effort he requires.”
- “It is clear that Dr. Mesa is extremely passionate about the topic and does a good job of communicating this and the material to students to make sure we’re understanding it well.”
- “Dr. Mesa is one of the best professors I’ve ever had. His teaching style motivated me to learn more about algorithms and to question more.”
- “Dr. Mesa’s style of teaching and the effort he puts into preparing materials for class is remarkable.”
- “Dr. Mesa is very passionate about the course material. We could tell that he went the extra mile to prepare lecture notes and workbooks each time. I hope he keeps it up!”
Exceptional TA Award (first-year programs)
- “Megan was the most passionate and helpful TA. She always opened office hours regularly and made sure students understood the concepts and assignments.”
- “I owe Megan a life debt for her help with the probability homeworks. I seriously cannot overstate how crucial she was to my success in that course.”
- “Megan is an absolute BEAST—a kind, intelligent, responsive one!”
- “Megan is unbelievable. She is the sole reason I passed the statistics class.”
Exceptional TA Award (second-year programs)
- “Chiara always made herself available to help students and was candid and thorough with her feedback.”
- “Chiara was very helpful in the algorithms course. Her feedback to the assignments was great and she was always insightful.”
- “Chiara was knowledgeable about the course material and gave good feedback on assignments. She also seemed genuinely interested in the success of the students.”
Each award winner was offered with a crystal plaque.